At the end of December, I sat down and made a list of resolutions to achieve in the coming year. I love the idea behind resolutions and forming long-term goals to achieve throughout a calendar year.
For me, no goal is set in stone. I’m not the same person I was more than half a year ago. My goals and future plans are ever-changing and I think it’s appropriate to look over my resolutions and make changes where necessary. So, without further ado, my halfway check-in of my 2012 resolutions:
Health and Fitness
- Get to my happy weight (ideally 115 lbs). Still struggling. I’ll get there. Eventually. The most important part of the process is to keep trying, right? Right.
Run an entire 5K in under 36 minutes.This is no longer a goal of mine, as I’ve put running on the back burner for the time being. I have a lot of trouble with my ankles and arches when I run. I have a very high arch which makes me overpronate when I run. I’ve had a gait analysis, tried supportive shoes and specialized inserts, even saw a sports orthopedic about it. There really isn’t much that can be done and I just don’t enjoy running. Even when I finish, I’m forever beating myself up. I’m moving on from running. At least for now.
- Exercise 4-5 times a week. Doing well with this goal! I fell off the wagon a bit in May and June, but my exercise has amped up again and it’s something that’s just a part of me now. Exercise comes easy for me. (It’s all the healthy eating that trips me up!) While I’m no longer a member of a gym, I have found some sweet boot camp deals through Groupon and Living Social, go to my apartment gym a few times a week, and have a ton of workout DVD’s to keep me busy! I do miss belonging to a gym and having classes available to me, but it’s just not in the budget right now.
- End my addiction to soda. Not going well. I was doing well during the first quarter of the year, but fell off the wagon when I went on my first cruise and I’ve continued my downward descent into the deliciousness that is carbonated beverages. I want to get back to not buying soda at the grocery store anymore and having it just a few times a week. Basically, I don’t want to crave it anymore and the only way to do that is to take it out of my diet completely.
- Get up-to-date on all doctor’s visits. Yikes. I’ve gone to the dentist and the eye doctor, but need to make three more appointments for various other visits. I will have this done by the time December rolls around. Count on it!
- Give blood at least 3 times. (1/3) I’ve given blood once but I want to wait on giving again until I get blood work done, because my iron count is pretty low. (I just made the cut last time!) This one is put on the back burner for now, but I’m still crossing my fingers I can achieve it!
Run the Turkey Trot 10K in November.I’m taking this goal off, due to my new hiatus from running. I guess I was real gung-ho about running back in December! I will most likely run/walk the 5K since my mom and I have been doing it for the past 6 years, it’s become a tradition. And it’s just a fun race to do. It’s a perfect environment for a slow runner, ha!
- Pay off all credit card debt. I’m not where I want to be with this goal. While my biggest credit card is history (yay!), I want to work on paying off my other two. I really want to focus on my money goals for the last half of this year and tighten up my budget.
- Try as best I can to never keep a balance month-to-month on my two credit cards. Failing. Must do better on this.
Pay off my ER visit bill.I’m putting this one off until next year. I know I shouldn’t, but it’s $2,500 and it’s going to take me a while to pay it off. Not having insurance sucks, my friends.
- Set aside 5% of every paycheck into my savings account. Oops. I forgot about this goal. Again.
- Switch Stephany Writes to self-hosted WordPress, with a brand-new design. Yup! Finally, a goal completed.
- Take one break from social media a month. (6/12) I’ve been doing well with this goal. I’ve taken a break every month and I’m looking forward to take a month-long social media/blogging break in either September or October.
Have a weekend away with special blogging friends.This one? Isn’t going to happen this year.
- Write and edit a novel. HAHAHAHAHAHA! I haven’t even started on my novel. I keep letting other things get in the way! This is unacceptable.
- Read one non-fiction book a month. Going strong with this one! The books I’ve read: What Women Fear (January; 4 stars), Cinderella Ate My Daughter (February; 5 stars), Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (March; 5 stars), Skinny Bitch (April; 2 stars), Stuff Christians Like (May; 5 stars), and 20-Something, 20-Everything (June, not yet finished).
- Read 75 books. Sitting pretty at 47 books read this year. I’m about 7 books ahead of schedule so I have no doubt this goal will be completed. Yay!
Fly on an airplane.Unless the flights to Atlanta over Labor Day weekend go down a bunch, this isn’t going to happen this year. Oh, well!
- Fully immerse myself in the online dating world. Yes and no. I’m a bit annoyed with the online dating world now. I just want to rewind to 6 weeks ago, honestly. That is all.
- Join a book club, Bible study, or some type of social group. I did join a Bible study at my church. We’ve been on hiatus for most of the summer and I really miss going! I can’t wait for it to pick back up soon.