Around September of last year, I took a break from setting monthly goals because I was feeling a bit burned out. I can admit to myself that I was in a funk for a few months towards the end of 2014, and I felt a bit like a duck – I looked cool, calm, and collected on the outside but inside, I was trying furiously to keep my head above water. I was just a bit mentally exhausted, so I did what I do best: I took a step back from the things causing me stress, settled inward, and focused on working through the funk. Which I did, and I’m in a better place (muuuuuch better) today than I was then.
And I’m so, so ready to bring back my monthly goals. I’m ready to take on some challenges, get back to my routine, and enjoy all January has to offer. Here are the goals I’m striving for this month:
1. Budget carefully, and only buy necessities. I’ve gone a wee bit off the deep end with my spending lately. There was Christmas, there were #treatyoself shopping adventures, there was a St. Augustine getaway. I don’t regret a single penny spent, but it’s time to rein in the spending and get back to a strict budget. My goal for January (and probably longer, if I can manage it) is to not spend money on myself, only on necessities. I need to build my savings back up, as well as pay off my credit card that was swiped a little too frequently in December. (This does not include eating out. I’ve just accepted I like to eat out more than other people. Though I do hope to calm down how often I eat out. December was crazy, is what I’m saying.)
2. Get back to healthy eating. Well, the good news is that my appetite has come back. Though I will admit it wasn’t that bad to lose 10 lbs in 3 weeks without trying too hard. Now that my appetite is back, it’s time to get back to healthy eating. Meal planning, home-cooked meals, and choosing better foods when I eat out. I’m not setting any particular measurable goal for this… just to eat healthier as often as I can.
3. Start training for a 5k. Here’s some exciting news: I signed up to run a 5k at the end of March. Even better than that? It’s in Savannah! Yep – I’m going back. (And yep, I’m traveling six hours just to run a 5k because I love that city so gosh durned much!) But I am in no way ready to run a 5k. I can walk it, but I really want to push myself, train hard, and have a great race in my favorite city. I’m so excited!
4. Finish my Holiday Council work. Yes, yes, yes. I still have not finished the Holiday Council work. And I’ve only listened to the first call and one of the interviews. I love the Holiday Council so much, so it’s really bugging me that I put it aside in December. I want to spend some time in January going through the worksheets, the calls, and the interviews so I’m ready to attack 2015!
5. Declutter and organize. My bedroom, my bathroom, the kitchen, the closets, the patio… all of it needs to go through a massive decluttering spree. Deep breaths. I can do this!
Do you have any goals for January?