1) It’s Halloween weekend! I’ll be the first to admit: I have very little love for this holiday. We didn’t really celebrate it when I was a kid. (I dressed up and went trick-or-treating as a young child, but stopped after age 11.) But my office likes to go all out for Halloween (we do a cubicle decorating and Halloween costume contest!), so I try to get in the spooky spirit. I will be dressing up today (look for my reveal on Instagram!) annnd… that’s about it. Ha. No Halloween parties and since I live in an apartment, no passing out candy for cute trick-or-treaters. Fine by me!
2) Do you find it easy to abandon a book you’re not really enjoying? I usually have a difficult time, especially if it’s a book that’s gotten good reviews from everyone I know. I just had this happen with Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter. I thought I would love it, but I was having a hard time getting into the story and when I went an entire day without reading it at all (I can’t remember the last time I went a full day without reading!), I knew it was time to just give it up and move on to something I would enjoy more. Now I’m reading a fun romance novel by Kristan Higgans – hooray!
3) Apparently, Dutch can only last a few months between vet visits. This is the fun of having a senior dog, I suppose! Early Tuesday morning, he got very, very sick. Throwing up, diarrhea, panting, shivering, lethargy – the whole nine yards. Even though he’s been in and out of the vet this year, he hasn’t been sick like that. It was terrifying, especially because I had to deal with it all on my own. (Like I said last week, this adulting thing is for the birds.) I considered taking him to an emergency vet, but he calmed down enough to sleep a little bit, so I decided to wait for my vet’s office to open. At the vet, they ran some tests and he was diagnosed with a bacterial infection. Poor dude! He was given meds and within 24 hours, was back to his normal self. So very grateful! Tuesday was such a scary day for me. Being a pet owner can be such a roller coaster, sometimes.
4) I’m slowly starting to get back to my exercise groove. Motivating myself to exercise used to be easier than it has been in the past few months. But the only way to get back into the habit is to do it, so I’m doing it. And it’s especially nice that my apartment gym is totally empty in the morning (I go at 5am), so I have the entire space to myself. I’m hoping to get into more of a routine with my workouts, but for now, just getting myself to the gym and sweating it out for 30 minutes a few times a week is enough.
5) I don’t have much going on this weekend. Tonight, my mom is coming over for pizza and a movie. Tomorrow, I’m meeting up with a friend to write and then taking it easy for the rest of the day (chores and errands will have to get done, but other than that, nada to do). And Sunday will be a day full of football and family. Happy weekend!
Do you have trouble abandoning books? What are your plans for this weekend?