1. My orthopedic appointment didn’t go as planned. Apparently, my broken ankle is a “good break” which means a walking boot or cast wouldn’t help me much. The orthopedic gave me one exercise to do and told me he wanted me to start walking normally on my foot. So. Really helpful appointment. I know it’s better to be on the safe side and I’m also grateful I don’t have to wear a cast… but I’m still frustrated that I spent $60 for basically a consultation. It feels like such a non-answer. He wants me to come back in 3 weeks for another x-ray but I can tell it’s healing and getting easier to walk on so I’m thinking of canceling that appointment. Another $60 to hear, “Healing great!”? Nope. Not gonna do it.
2. Fingers crossed, I’m getting my one-year review today. I’m at the point where I just want it over with so I can move on. When I said I was nervous about it on Twitter, people asked me why which I found to be an odd question, honestly. I know constructive criticism is good and necessary, but I can’t say I enjoy hearing all the ways I need to be better. And I was once blindsided in a review (internship) so I have legit fears. Hopefully, it goes better than I expect!
3. Our cable and Internet was supposed to continue until Sunday at our old place and then be hooked up on Sunday afternoon at the new place. Weeeell, we found out as we turned on the TV to watch the Big Brother finale that Brighthouse decided to turn off our cable/Internet Wednesday night. Nice of them, eh? We could have had a technician come out that night but by then Big Brother would have been mostly over and there really wasn’t a point since we would be at the new place anyway. So I’m writing this post on my iPhone. Fun times, my friends, fun times indeed. (I did follow what happened through Twitter and I am ECSTATIC that Ian won. He deserved it over Dirty Dan. When Dan orchestrated Britney’s leaving, he became Public Enemy No. 1 for me.)
4. Our first night in our new place was last night! Sadly, for me, it was not on my brand-new IKEA bed I bought since I forgot to also buy the midbeam, it’s not very safe to even sit on. I’m going back tonight to buy that (thankfully, it’s only $10) so hopefully I can have my first sleep on my new bed tonight. I’m dealing with some new-place anxiety and trying to stem any panic attacks that seem to be rising in my belly but I think once we are more settled in and things calm down, I’ll be okay. Big changes – like a move – are hard on my emotions and I’m also dealing with other unpleasant life things so it just adds to the stress.
5. I’m starting to get more and more serious about grad school. After I graduated with my Bachelor’s, I was SO burned out from school and I needed a long break from homework & classes & tests. I haven’t missed it at all until recently, when I started getting nostalgic for college campuses & projects & thinking outside the box. I love everything about the academia world and I miss using my brain in that way. I’ve been perusing grad school sites and exploring my options and it’s something that I know I’ll pursue in the next year or two. It’s exciting to think about diving into classes again but I’m also quite okay with waiting a while longer.
Do you get nervous about reviews at work? Would you ever tackle graduate school? If you’ve already done it (kudos!), what was your degree in?