1. I had a successful massage on Saturday! The massage therapist recommended a deep tissue over the sports massage, and so I had that instead. I was really, really, really, really, really nervous about the massage. Really, really. I wasn’t so much nervous about the massage itself, but the whole getting nekkid part and some strange man rubbing his hands all over my body. Yeah. The therapist was young, around my age, and I felt at ease and comfortable around him from the minute I met him. He was easygoing and settled my nerves quickly. Thirty seconds into the massage, I realized I really should have been worried at the massage itself because GOOD GOD IT HURT. It was so painful. I didn’t go into the massage with any sort of expectations, but it was a billion times more painful than I imagined it would have been. That said, it was absolutely, 100% necessary. The therapist told me my calves were “jacked up” which was actually thrilling to hear! It means there is a reason why running is more painful on my ankles than it should be. While I spent most of Saturday and Sunday with intense muscle soreness and pain, I can feel how much looser my calves are and I know it was absolutely worth all the pain. My ankles still ache when I run, though, so I know the problem hasn’t completely fixed itself. I’m not an expert of this, but I’m guessing I’ll need another massage or two before I really start seeing the benefits. And the fact that the therapist told me he could work on my legs for another two hours after my hour was up is probably a good indication I need more of them. Yay.
2. On Sunday, my brother and my nephew came over to watch the playoff games. (Happy about Baltimore winning, not so happy about Seattle. Womp, womp.) My sister-in-law came to pick my nephew up around 5:00 so my brother and I could watch the late game alone, which was awesome. It was just the three of us as my mom was away in Orlando for the weekend. It was a really, really fun afternoon! My nephew was in the greatest mood and I found out that yes, it is entirely possible to play with a Hot Wheels racing track for three hours straight. It was just a blast to spend some quality one-on-one time with him.
3. Yesterday brought terrible news to my family. I always hesitate writing about family matters on my blog (and keep the vast majority of it off) but since you all have been through this journey with me, I feel like I should write about it. In January of last year, my grandma found out her cancer was back. She opted for a treatment that would laser the tumor out of her body and finished that in February. Yesterday, she found out the treatment didn’t work and her tumor is still there. So she is starting her THIRD round of chemotherapy treatments. It’s aggressive and it’s going to be tough but she miraculously made it through her first two and I know she has the strength and grit to make it through this one. Her doctor is hopeful, this is by no means a death sentence, and I know God is in this every step of the way. It’s still scary and it was news I wasn’t expecting. So any good thoughts and prayers you can send my grandma’s way as she battles through this once again would be greatly, greatly appreciated.
4. As some of you may have noticed, I closed comments on my Letters to My Future Husband post from Wednesday. I mainly did it because I wasn’t looking for feedback on that post. I am not feeling the same hopelessness as I felt in that letter, but also wanted to put it out there to remind myself that this is where I have been and to let myself be okay with these intensely sad emotions – even when it’s hard to be so vulnerable. And I want anyone who does feel the way I felt then to know they are not alone and it’s alright to not be 100% okay with being single. Sometimes, it does suck.
5. This weekend is going to be a busy one! My mom’s boyfriend (!!) is coming down to spend the weekend with all of us. This will be my first time meeting him and I hope I like him! My mom is deliriously happy, which makes me happy because goodness that woman deserves this more than anyone I know! He’s taking my mom and me out to dinner tonight and then he’ll be around to watch the playoff games on Saturday and Sunday, where he’ll meet my brother. Interestingly enough, his favorite football team is the San Fransisco 49ers – the team of which my brother is a diehard fan! I also have a breakfast date planned with one of my good, good friends whom I used to work with. She was basically my better half at the preschool and I miss her something fierce so it’ll be good to catch up! And, of course, lots of playoff football to watch! I am rooting for San Fransisco, Atlanta, Denver, and Houston to make it to the championship games.