1) I bought new eyeglasses! I have been coveting this purchase for well over a year now, and I’m glad I finally got it done. I haven’t had an eye appointment in three years (and let’s just forget about how long it’s been since my eyes were dilated – high school, maybe?), and all my prescriptions were out of date so it’s just an appointment I’ve kept putting off because I knew it would be quite the expense. And it was… but not as bad as I suspected! (Around $400 total for my eye appointment, a six-months supply of contacts, and the glasses themselves. Not bad at all!)
It took me a long time to finally settle on glasses I loved (also, we kept getting tripped up on the ordering process due to insurance problems that finally got settled – SIGH), and I think I was having doubts because the glasses I have currently I really, really hate. They are too wide and boxy for my face, but I bought them without insurance and had to get a cheapo pair. I had an awesome sales lady who helped me out, helping me to find glasses that fit my face. (Did you know the length of your eyeglasses shouldn’t be longer than the length of your eyebrows? And if they follow the shape of your eyebrows, even better!) I finally settled on a pair that I really love and that are a bit funkier than I would normally buy. I can’t wait until they come in!
2) I had lunch with some friends I hadn’t seen in a while last week, and one of them asked me if I was apartment hunting currently, to move out on my own. I fumbled around with my answer a little, at first giving a bald-faced lie and saying yes (I KNOW!), and then saying no, I wasn’t, and that I was stuck in my current apartment lease until September but that I should be looking around soon. I don’t know WHY I said that, when I am planning on waiting until next September to move out on my own.
I guess there’s this little (big?) part of me that feels a little embarrassment and shame when talking to people my age who are living on their own, and I’m still living with my mom. There are many reasons for this: renting is expensive, I need to save up more money, I want to pay off a few debts first, I really, really, really like having my mom as my roommate, etc. But I know a lot of people don’t understand this, people who think I should be out on my own now. And I don’t know what to say to that. Because yes, I should but also no, I shouldn’t. I have a real hard time with judgment and criticism and tuning out the voices. People don’t even need to say anything to me – I just worry. I worry people think I’m undateable because I’ve never had a serious boyfriend, that I’m a loser because I’m still overweight, that I’m too dependent on my mom because I still live with her. I know none of those things are true (I think I know this), but it’s hard when you realize you have veered so far off the timeline of when you’re supposed to check things off the map (moving out at 18! Lost the freshmen 15 by 22! Married by 25!), and you have no idea if/when things will ever be checked off. Feelings are so complicated.
3) I went on a little mini shopping spree last weekend. I have been feeling really blah and uninspired when it comes to my work clothes, so I went to the mall and scored three nice blouse-y shirts, a new pair of dress pants, a casual tee, and a workout shirt for $70. I’m pretty happy about that! It was my one last “hurrah!” before I go on a strict spending freeze for the summer. My spending – between my vacation in early May and buying new glasses and other miscellany purchases – has been a bit out of control lately, and while I’m staying out of credit card debt (able to use them, then pay them off!), I haven’t been good at increasing my emergency savings. So I need to put a stop to all unnecessary spending for the next three months, and get back to seriously attacking my debt goals for the year. (I’ll be doing biweekly updates, so be on the lookout for those!)
4) I’m so happy it’s summer TV season. I love the fall/spring line-up, but most of my favorite shows take place in the summer. MasterChef, American Ninja Warrior, So You Think You Can Dance, America’s Got Talent, Last Comic Standing, and I’m also watching The Bachelorette. (Ugh, guilty pleasure!) But I’m eagerly anticipating the premiere of my favorite show of the year: BIG BROTHER! (Please, please, please, please, please let this season not be anything like last season. Last season was so pathetic!)
5) I don’t have much planned this weekend. I have a hair appointment this afternoon (YAY!) and tonight, I’m meeting up with a friend to work on my fiction novel. Saturday and Sunday? It’s all up in the air! I am craving a few hours by the pool with a trashy romance novel, so I think I should do that, yes?