1) First and foremost, I want to thank everyone who has offered their condolences for the loss of my grandma. The past week and a half have been the worst of my life, and it’s been the support from family and friends that have helped me get through it. I feel like I cry at the drop of a hat now – just a hug can make me start bawling! Grief is a weird business, and I feel like I’m only at the beginning of it.
2) I’m really glad I decided to go to the hospital with my mom two Sundays ago, when we found out my grandma had been admitted back. It was the last time I was able to have a real conversation with her. And she looked amazing then! She ate an entire bowl of broth and a pudding cup, was able to conversate easily, etc. And the last conversation I had with her was her asking me how my new apartment is. This lady was in the hospital battling infection and she still wanted to hear all about my life. That’s who my grandma was in a nutshell. Always concerned about others, always interested in their lives.
3) At my grandma’s memorial, as my grandpa went up to her casket to say his last goodbyes, his words to her were: “Four days in heaven, Barbara. How awesome is that?” The strength of his faith has always amazed me, but he’s blowing me away with how he’s handling this loss. Of course, he’s devastated, but he still has hope and faith and trust. It’s incredibly inspiring.
4) Here’s a Bible verse my cousin found that has brought me great comfort this week: “The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.” (Psalm 34:18) For anyone going through a hard time, whether grieving a loved one, a dream, a relationship, I hope that verse also brings you hope.
5) I’ve been so drained this week, so emotionally exhausted. I’m ready to have a low-key and relaxing weekend. My only plans are to watch my nephew’s soccer game on Saturday afternoon and hang out with my brother watching football on Sunday. Lots of sleep, TV watching, and reading on the docket, exactly what I need!
I need to hear something cheerful. Tell me something good that happened with you this week!