1) I seem to go in spurts with my Friday posts. Sometimes, I want to keep it simple with a TGIF update and other times, I want to write longer-form lists about what’s going on in my world. Right now, I’m feeling more of the latter. It’s probably because when I go through a difficult time, all I want to do is write about it. Writing is my safe place, it’s where I can get all my thoughts and feelings down in one place. So this is what I do. I write. I’ll just keep writing until I can make sense of things.
2) I’ve come to terms with the fact that I will not finish the Book Riot reading challenge. I only have five categories left to complete, but they are five categories I really wasn’t looking forward to completing, and I never want reading to become a chore. I’m on the fence about this reading challenge because I’m glad it made me read some books I’ve been meaning to read (Americanah and The Outsiders come quickly to mind), but I also slogged through books I only finished to mark a category complete (like The Pearl that Broke its Shell and Olive Kitteridge). I’m not upset about not finishing the challenge because, frankly, I’m excited to get back to my TBR list and reading the books I’ve been looking forward to reading. Bottom line: reading should be fun! And for some people, reading challenges are fun, and for others, they are not. Do what feels good for you!
3) I cooked twice this week! I’m very proud about that because cooking hasn’t been my thing lately. (It really never has been. Cooking is a necessary evil for me.) On Monday, I made turkey meatloaf and had the leftovers for lunch this week. Then, on Tuesday, I baked Italian chicken (easiest recipe ever: marinate chicken in Italian dressing overnight, then bake it!). I’m trying to eat at home more (weekends are a mess, so I’m trying to focus on weekdays), which means cooking more. Sigh, this adulthood stuff is for the birds.
4) New shows I’ve tried: Scream Queens (not for me, gave me terrible anxiety!), Life in Pieces (I love this show mostly because Colin Hanks gives me heart-eyes, but it’s pretty funny, too), and The Grinder (not as funny as I was hoping, but I adore Rob Lowe so much). Other shows I’m taping but haven’t gotten around to watching: Code Black and Quantico.
5) This weekend is going to be a busy one, but I’m glad for it because last weekend held a bit too much alone time. Alone time is wonderful, but too much of it just leads me feeling lethargic and lonely. Introverts crave social interaction, too! Anyway, today, Roomie and I are having a fun day together where we’ll carve pumpkins, make pizzas, and watch The Nightmare Before Christmas (I’ve never seen it!). I haven’t had solid girl time with my Roomie for weeks, so this day is much needed. On Saturday, I’ll catch up chores and errands, and spend some time with my mom (it’ll be her first time seeing the apartment, now that we’re all moved in and unpacked!) And Sunday will be filled with the usual – football and family. Happy weekend!
Do you like reading challenges? What are your plans for this weekend?