1) I am having such a book hangover after finishing The Martian. I think that book will go down as one of the best books I’ve ever read – and I don’t ever typically read the science fiction genre. But I will read any book Andy Weir writes now and forever, amen. I already want to reread the novel! I just found the characters so engaging and the plot so interesting. I want to see the movie (hello, my favorite actor as Mark Watney? Be still my heart!), but I don’t think I’m emotionally ready. I may have to wait until it’s out on DVD.
2) I offered to bring dessert to my family’s Thanksgiving celebration this year, and I’ve decided to make these double chocolate peppermint cookies and then this chocolate chip cookie pie. It shall be a delicious feast indeed!
3) I went to a hockey game last night! A coworker organized this night for a bunch of us to get together for the game. It was a ton of fun, even if I did hem and haw over buying a ticket. Now that I have so much more on my plate budget-wise, I’m finding myself less and less inclined to spend money on frivolous things. Good in some cases, not so good in others. Like this game. I didn’t need to go to a hockey game, but it’s a night out with some of my favorite people. I guess this is a blog post for another time – weighing the pros and cons of spending money. Cost versus opportunity, or something like that?
In any event, the hockey game was fun, I had a giant pretzel, the Lightning won, and I’m happy I went.
4) So, I’m always way behind in my podcast feed. (It doesn’t bother me; I subscribe to so many shows that I’m usually a few weeks behind.) But I wanted to highlight a super interesting episode from Stuff You Should Know, all about fairy tales and their dark beginnings. I always knew fairy tales had a sinister side to them – at least before they were transformed into the Disney tales we know today – but this episode really brought to light how sinister they were. Highly recommend a listen!
5) I have such a fun weekend planned! (I should have used this week for my Week in the Life series because this week has been/will be much more exciting than last week!) Today, I am having lunch with my mom, then I’ll go straight to my hair salon to get my color freshened up, and after that, I have book club! Whew. On Saturday, Roomie and I are headed to Orlando for a fun day at Universal Studios where I’ll get to experience the Wizarding World of Harry Potter for the first time. (!) Lastly, on Sunday, I have a writing date at Starbucks planned and then I am spending the rest of the day at my mom’s, watching football with her and my brother. Woohoo!
Do you have a problem spending money on social events? What are your weekend plans?