And just like that, we’re finished with the first month of 2015. I know these months are going to fly by and before we know it, we’ll be ringing in 2016. January had its ups and downs. The highs were high and the lows were low, but I’m not going to dwell on those lows. I am happy with where I am, happy that I’m learning to stand up for myself even when my opinion is the unpopular one, and happy that I know how to listen to my heart. And I feel really, really excited about what the future entails for me. Good things are happening, even when life seems a bit murky and unclear at times, and there is so much to look forward to.
So, all that said, let’s reflect on January and all the brilliant moments it brought.
In January, I…
- Visited St. Augustine. I loved St. Augustine. I’ve wanted to visit it for a long time, and it completely lived up to my expectations. It is a beautiful city, so full of life and history and beauty. I’d go again in a heartbeat.
- Started running again. I signed up for a 5k, which meant it was time to tackle one task on my yearly goals list – train to race a 5k. All I want to do is improve on my previous 5k times (which are not impressive at all!), train smart, and enjoy the race come race day.
- Started working on a big freelance project. This freelance project has been a lot of fun! I get to stretch my creative muscles in an entirely different way, and the experience I’m gaining is wonderful.
- Had two great nights out with girlfriends. I love my girlfriends. We met for dinner on a weeknight when an out-of-town friend was in town for a short time, and then we had book club another night where we had dinner and then visited a brewery to play games. I have the best time with them!
- Booked a cruise with my mom. We leave in 103 days! I cannot wait!
I also want to take a moment to take a look back on the yearly goals I set and talk about the progress I am making towards some of them. I won’t recap all of them, just the ones I feel necessitate talking about.
Yearly goals progress…
- Complete the Book Riot Read Harder Challenge and read 52 books. I read seven books in January, two of which were for the challenge. And I’m now certain I lowballed my book goal for the year… at this rate, I’ll probably read around 70+ books! Heh.
- Put 20% of my income towards savings/debt each month. FAIL. Huge, huge fail. I think I wound up putting 3% of my income towards savings/debt in January. I have to step up my game for February.
- Race a 5k. Training for this one! And it’s super hard. But I’m doing it. Sometimes.
- Master the 80/20 rule of healthy eating. I’m doing better with eating healthy. There is so much I need to improve on, but I have a whole year to figure this out. I would say I’m eating healthy maybe 60% of the time?
How was your January? What did you do?