Happy 2018, friends! It’s hard to believe we’re at the beginning of a brand-new year. It felt like 2017 passed in a flash and I’m sure 2018 will feel the same way.
I love the feeling of a new year and the feeling that we have this blank slate where anything is possible. And I love, love, love making a list for what I want to accomplish over the next twelve months. I know yearly goals aren’t everyone’s cup of tea, but they are mine and so I’ve come up with a list of 15 things I’d like to accomplish.
But first, let’s go back and take a look at the goals I set at the beginning of 2017 and see how I did:
- Quit fast food and soda. Not complete. I was chugging along with this goal fairly well in the first quarter and then fell apart in the latter half of the year.
- Read four “classic” novels. Complete! For this goal, I read The Handmaid’s Tale, A Separate Peace, Jane Eyre, and Their Eyes Were Watching God. My favorite of those was easily The Handmaid’s Tale, which was one of my top 10 reads this year. (And yes, these are not your “typical” classic novels, but my goal, my rules.)
- Save $1,000 in an emergency fund. Not complete. Womp.
- Start seeing a therapist. Not complete. I let excuse after excuse pile up for why I didn’t start therapy this year, but after some of the things I experienced in 2017 (stuff that remained largely off the blog), I know I need this more than ever.
- Write my novel. Not complete. Ugh. I got stuck around 70,000 words into my novel and I just hit a complete wall. Around this time, I also got incredibly busy at work and used my weekly writing dates to work on actual work stuff. Excuses, I know. I’m really great at making excuses, if you haven’t guessed.
- Get a tattoo. Complete. I went with a friend and finally got the book tattoo I’ve been wanting for years. I’m so pleased with it… and I’m already eyeing my next tattoo.
So, I wasn’t too successful with my yearly goals in 2017 with only two out of the six accomplished. But that’s okay! I love setting yearly goals, but I also understand that they are slightly arbitrary and I don’t need to beat myself up for not accomplishing everything I set out to do. A year is a long time and I don’t set these goals thinking that I need to accomplishing all of them. I just enjoy the process of setting goals and working toward them.
So, with that said, here’s what I’d like to accomplish in 2018:
1. Lose 30 lbs
2. Complete the Whole30
3. Cut out soda completely
4. Buy a new couch
5. Complete a yearly shopping ban where I don’t buy any new clothes
6. Stop using plastic bags at the grocery store, Target, etc.
7. Read 100 books, including four classics.
8. Give up all dating apps and websites for the entire year.
9. Try something new once a month (i.e., kayaking, stand-up paddleboarding, yoga, etc.)
10. Start therapy
11. Finish my novel
12. Figure out what my Enneagram type is
13. Travel to one new state
14. Exercise at least three times a week, every week in 2018
15. Create a wedding album for my mom and stepdad
Cheers to 2018!
Have you set any goals for 2018?