And then it was October. Well, almost.
It’s crazy how fast this year is flying by. It has been a really, really good year but I’m not ready to see it all end. Luckily, we are entering my favorite time of the year – the holidays! October, November, and December are just my favorite months. I am not excited for shorter days, but I am excited that we are getting tiny hints of cooler weather to come and there are just so many good things on the horizon that it’s hard to contain myself. I am a happy girl.
I’m trying to figure out a good format for recapping the month and talking about my goals so just bear with me as I figure it all out.
In September, I…
- Celebrated my brother’s (27!) and nephew’s (5!) birthdays. My brother and my nephew are September babies, my brother being the 15th and my nephew being the 25th so it’s always a big birthday month for us. We celebrated my brother’s with pizza, cake, and a very sad Sunday Night Football game. (He’s a die hard Niners fan and they lost awfully to the Seahawks, their rival team.) For my nephew, my sister-in-law and brother threw a fun pool party for the little stinker that was a ton of fun.
- Took Dutch to the dog beach! I had a blast watching Dutch experience the dog beach for his first time. He was hesitant of the water, but we forced him in a few times. He was the perfect boy and I’m looking forward to going back another time or two before it gets too cold!
- Started trampoline fitness classes. My mom bought us a Groupon for 3 trampoline fitness classes and we put them to good use this month. Goodness, I think I underestimated how tough the workouts would be because they were hard. My legs felt like jelly after each one. I would say you would probably need some sort of fitness base to begin these types of classes because it’s high-intensity cardio. But still, very fun and I am hopeful to find room in my budget to continue going.
- Spent five hours at book club! Our book club meetings are generally 5% talking about the book and 95% chit-chatting and catching up on one another’s lives. At September’s book club, the five of us who will be going on a cruise together in November were there and it was just the best time. We started at our favorite restaurant and then moseyed on over to a frozen yogurt spot right next door where we sat outside and talked and talked and talked until 11pm. We are going to have such a fun time on that cruise! (And I may have volunteered to sing karaoke with another girl. Uh.)
- Had a 30-day review at my job. My company likes to do a 30-day review to catch up with their new hires and make sure they’re settling in okay. It was basically a “Is this the job you thought you were getting?” sort of low-key discussion. It went well and my team leader is very happy with my performance so far and I am really happy with the job itself so good things all around.
Goals for September
- Try out a trampoline fitness class. Check! My mom and I attended all three sessions paid for via a Groupon and they were very fun. I am hopeful to continue these!
- Go back to church. Ehh… sort of. I went one out of the four Sundays in September. Things just kept coming up that prevented me from going. Oh, well. Here’s hoping October will be better!
- Sit down and create a new budget. Yes! I did this! And it’s awesome. I’ll be helping my mom out WAY more than I was before, able to save and pay down my debts, and still have fun money left over. I love my new budget!
- Don’t use my credit card. I really, really have to stop using my credit card for unnecessary purchases. My best bet is to take it out of my wallet and leave it home.
- Go back to a cash budget system for extras. I was doing better at this earlier in the year but got off track in the summer. I think giving myself a set amount of cash to use for my extra fun expenses will help me to stop spending money so frequently. It’s not out of hand, but it has the potential of getting there.
- Take Dutch to his first 5K and second 3K Pet Walk! Dutch has a busy race season coming up and it all kicks off with the 3K Pet Walk put on by our local SPCA on October 12. We did this last year and it was so much fun, though the pet walk itself was a bit messy. Hopefully, it is more organized this year! We also may do a 5K Halloween run, too, since it allows dogs to participate and I think it would be fun. Gotta keep this old man active, you know?!
What’s one money saving rule or budget tip you always keep in mind?